If your child has been diagnosed with diabetes, our nursing team can support you in the day-to-day management of their diabetes. Getting the right plan and support in place can help to prevent the short and long-term health problems related to diabetes. Treatment and support for diabetes will be based on your child’s individual needs, ways that we can help include:
- Train families, carers and Support Workers on diabetes and monitoring blood glucose levels
- Provide insulin injections and train carers to provide insulin injections where appropriate
- Support for lifelong strategies to reduce the health and wellbeing complications of diabetes
- Advice and support for healthy and diabetes friendly meal plans
- Work with you and doctors to create a Diabetes Management Plan
What is a Diabetes Management Plan?
A Diabetes Management Plan is an essential document that provides guidelines to support people with diabetes. It is normally developed in conjunction with the person with diabetes, their family, nursing staff and medical doctors to outline requirements for monitoring the impacts of diabetes, insulin requirements and other needs. The plan can be used at home, at school or in other environments such as respite care/short term accommodation so that the person’s support network knows and understands how to best manage their diabetes.