The digital world offers many opportunities for children to learn and to connect with friends, family, community and support groups. Most online experiences are positive however the online environment also poses risks such as unwanted contact, cyberbullying, trolling, image-based abuse and exposure to inappropriate, offensive or illegal content.
Here are just some of the ways that we can make the internet a safer place for our children:
- Show support for your peers by sending positive messages, a smiley face or a high-five
- Share the videos below to spread the word about being safe online
- Check your privacy settings and your passwords. For example is your password as easy as 12345? Have you shared it with a friend?
- Think about who can see what you post online
- Don’t share hurtful or embarrassing stories or photos, what may seem like a harmless joke to one person can be deeply hurtful to others
- Always be kind online