We are here to help with practical urinary and bowel continence advice and management to support children and young people with disability. We will support your child to feel more comfortable and more confident and offer education and practical help and support to parents and carers. Incontinence can be embarrassing and we aim to provide sensitive support. We can:
- Assess your child for continence patterns and recommend a plan
- Help to identify the cause of incontinence if this isn’t known
- Advise on the best continence products to suit your child and their situation
- Help to create a toileting routine that works for your child and your family
- Advise on toileting strategies to minimise “accidents”
- Provide support and advice to help reduce the likelihood of UTIs
- Create a urinary and/or bowel care continence management plan
What is a continence management plan?
A continence management plan is developed after a nurse undertakes an assessment and combines this knowledge with the needs of your child and your family to provide guidelines, milestones, support and encouragement to better manage your child’s urinary and bowel incontinence.