07 Dec 2020

Respite care, funding and the NDIS

How does respite care work under the NDIS? How is it funded and what are your options? Read on to learn more.

What is respite?

Respite services and respite care can include any of the following:

  • In-home respite where a Support Worker comes to your home, this may be during the day or overnight
  • Centre-based day respite offers activities, outings and the opportunity to socialise
  • Centre-based overnight respite at centres like Xavier Place is for stays of a couple of days or longer, this is known as short term accommodation
  • Emergency respite care in circumstances where the carer suddenly can’t continue on in their caring role
  • Informal respite provided family or friends

Funding for short term accommodation

Short term accommodation is funding for support and accommodation to enable your child to spend a short time away from your home. It covers the cost of their care in a centre like Xavier Place for up to 14 days at a time. It includes funding for:

  • accommodation
  • personal care
  • food
  • activities agreed on between the provider and the family

Usually the NDIS will fund up to 28 days of short term accommodation per year. You can use your short term accommodation funding flexibly to suit your needs. For example, you may want to use 5 or 10 days at one time or for multiple weekends or in a one month block. The standard rates for short term accommodation can be found in the NDIS Price Guide.

If you don’t have funding for short term accommodation in your child’s plan, you can choose to use your Core budget instead. You should think about the best way to use your budget to meet the needs of your child and your family.

Reasonable and necessary

In order to receive funding for short term accommodation, the NDIA must deem it a reasonable and necessary support (as per other supports in your child’s plan).

The NDIS website states that, in order to be considered reasonable and necessary, a support or service:

  • must be related to a participant’s disability
  • must not include day-to-day living costs not related to your disability support needs, such as groceries
  • should represent value for money
  • must be likely to be effective and work for the participant, and
  • should take into account support given to you by other government services, your family, carers, networks and the community

What is Support Independent Living?

Support Independent Living (SIL) is different from short term accommodation. SIL is a type of help or supervision with daily tasks to enable people with a disability to live as independently as possible, while building their skills. It is a paid personal support and includes things like someone to help with personal care tasks or cooking meals.

What is Specialise Disability Accommodation?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is also different from short term accommodation. It is where people living with disability have high support needs and need to live in specially designed houses.

Further information

For further information on Xavier Place in the Brisbane suburb of Yeerongpilly, give us a call on 1800 XAVIER or visit the Xavier Place page. At Xavier Place we provide short term accommodation and respite care for children and young people in Brisbane and surrounding areas with complex disability and related health needs.