The NDIS and support for children with complex disabilities in Brisbane
We’ve been supporting children with complex disabilities in Brisbane for over 70 years. Over this time and with the roll-out of the NDIS, the way in which we provide support has evolved.
One of the ways we provide support for children with complex disabilities in Brisbane is through our nursing services. We have nursing services available to help care for your child’s health related disability needs. We provide training, support and monitoring of Xavier Support Workers. With the recent NDIS update (1 October 2019), this support can now be funded through your child’s plan.
Some of the disability-related health supports that the NDIS will now fund are summarised below.
- Continence supports
- Respiratory supports
- Nutrition supports
- Dysphagia supports
- Wound and pressure care
- Diabetic management supports
- Podiatry supports
- Epilepsy supports
Some health supports that will not be funded through the NDIS include:
- Items and services provided as part of diagnosis, early intervention and treatment of health conditions, including ongoing or chronic health conditions, and which are not part of the everyday life of the NDIS participant.
- Medically prescribed care, treatment or surgery for an acute illness or injury including post-acute care, convalescent care and rehabilitation.
- Sub-acute care including palliative care, end of life care and geriatric care (with the exception of supports that are already provided for in a participant’s plan – refer Palliative Care).
- Items and services covered by the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
- Treatment, services or supports delivered by a doctor or medical specialist, including diagnosis and assessment of a health condition.
For further information on Xavier health supports call 1800 XAVIER or visit our nursing page.